About Face Lift For Men
The visible signs of ageing such as lines and wrinkles, loose skin and brown spots, no longer have to be an inevitable part of getting old, and many people choose to reverse these signs with the help of face lift surgery and other surgical and non-surgical procedures. Face lift surgery, also known as rhytidectomy, is one of the most commonly requested procedures by both men and women who want to look as young as they feel. It is performed to remove or reduce the skin that has lost its natural elasticity - usually around the eyes, mouth and jaw line - smooth the skin, reduce lines and wrinkles and rejuvenate a tired-looking appearance.
Benefits of having Face Lift Surgery
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- Looking younger
- Feeling rejuvenated and fresher
Facts about Face Lift Surgery
- 42 % more men than 5 years ago are treating their lines and wrinkles with cosmetic surgery.
- The desire for men to stay young looking is more and more important nowadays.
- Face lift and neck lift are amongst the most efficient cosmetic surgery procedures to fight against the sign of ageing.
- Face lifts are a popular treatment for men as well as women
- Improved surgical techniques mean scars and recovery time are minimised.
The Procedure for Face Lift Surgery
- The surgery consists of lifting the skin, removing the excess fat, tightening the muscles and removing any excess skin.
- There are three types of face lift surgery procedures, the Traditional face lift, Minimal-access cranial suspension and Keyhole Surgery.
- The technique used depends on your facial structure and desired outcome.
- Your surgeon will let you know whether which type of surgery is suitable for you.
Traditional Face Lift
- A surgical cut is made in your hairline,down past the front of your ears and then up into the hairline again behind the ears.
- Skin is carefully separated from the underlying tissues.
- Excess fat is removed and muscles are tightened surrounding the tissues of the face.
- Skin is lifted, pulled back and any excess skin is trimmed off.
- The skin is then stitched back to the line where the cut was initially made.
- Fine plastic drainage tubes may be left in the wounds, usually behind your ears. These allow blood and fluids to drain.
Is Face Lift Surgery right for me?
BEFORE YOUR FACE LIFT SURGERY
- The Cosmetic Surgeon may suggest that you lose weight to give you the possible long lasting result.
- Your Cosmetic Surgeon will also suggest that you stop smoking - an important part in assisting wound healing.
- If you colour your hair, it is advisable to do so before surgery as it will be several weeks afterwards before it is again safe to do so.
- You may want to bring sunglasses to wear after surgery to hide some of the swelling and bruising.
THE DAY OF YOUR FACE LIFT SURGERY
- The Cosmetic Surgeon will visit you in your room to obtain your final consent and mark the face with a pen in preparation for your surgery.
- If you have any final questions it is important that you ask your Cosmetic Surgeon at this time.
- When you wake up from your surgery you will have dressings on the face and possibly drainage tubes in place.
- Painkillers will be offered if required, however it is not regarded as a painful procedure, more uncomfortable due to the 'tight' feeling.
- You can expect to be in hospital for 1 or 2 days, any drainage tubes will be removed before you go home.
GOING HOME AFTER FACE LIFT SURGERY
- It is advisable to rest with your head propped up in the early days and avoid bending, lifting or sudden movements of the head.
- You will be advised on when you can wash your hair and this will help to make the removal of the stitches easier.
- It is very important that you attend the appointments to care for your wound and see your Cosmetic Surgeon.
- It will be possible to return to work once the stitches have been removed and the bruising and swelling have settled, approximately 2 - 3 weeks.
- You will have your own personal Nurse Counselor both before and after your procedure to support you and answer any questions you may have.
RECOVERY FROM FACE LIFT SURGERY
- Most people may experience some bruising and swelling
- Stitches will be removed at between 7 to 14 days
- By this time you should be able to resume your normal day-to-day activities with few exceptions
Things To Consider
It is important that your decision to have a Cosmetic Surgery procedure is considered carefully. There are many points that should be considered before deciding to have any type of Cosmetic Treatment or Surgery.
There are also some possible risks, as with all surgical operations, which your Cosmetic Surgeon will talk through and explain to you at your consultation, answering any questions you may have. This is your opportunity to discuss your intended surgery in order that the Cosmetic Surgeon can ascertain your expectations as to what can realistically be achieved.
Every Cosmetic Surgeon who performs face lift procedures for Bellissima Beauty Clinic belongs to a relevant professional organisation, is fully accredited to practice Plastic Surgery, and has specific training and experience in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Our nurses advise you consider the following things before your surgery:
- Child care and post surgery activities including sleeping arrangements
- Have necessary post-operative garments
- How long will the effects of treatment keep me away from my usual activities?
- At what stage will I be able to judge the results of treatment?
- How long do the results last?
- When can I return to work?